At Herring Bank, our mission is to build “Relationships for a Lifetime”; Tellers are the face of our company and hold an essential role in delivering on our mission by providing an outstanding Customer Experience. The position of Teller is responsible for performing routine branch and customer services duties; accepts retail and commercial checking and savings deposits; processes loan payments; cashes checks and savings withdrawals; promotes business for the Bank by maintaining good customer relations and uncovering customer needs-referring customers to appropriate staff for new services. Tellers help safeguard the Bank by adhering to the Control Binder in operational and regulatory compliance, internal controls and procedures.
· Receives retail and commercial checking and savings deposits; determines that all necessary deposit documents are in proper form, verifies cash, and issues receipts.
· Cash checks, savings withdrawals and makes cash advances; confirms all necessary documents are properly authorized, are in proper form and are within authorized limits; uses due diligence to make decisions when questionable items are presented for cashing.
· Operates computer terminal or personal computer to process account activity, determine balances, and resolve problems within given authority.
· Navigates multiple computer systems, applications, and utilizes search tools to find information.
· Issues official checks, money orders, and redeems savings bonds.
· Assists with night depository duties; logs bags, processes deposits, makes change orders, issues receipts and returns bags to customers.
· Uncovers opportunity to cross-sell the Bank’s products and services, referring customers to appropriate staff as indicated.
· Performs safe deposit duties by controlling access and assisting customers.
· Receives and processes stop payment and hold orders.
· Accepts loan and installment payments.
· Balances cash drawer daily, including periodic batching of negotiated checks, and verifies cash being returned to the vault by end of shift.
· Buys and sells currency from the vault as necessary, ensuring that teller drawer cash limits are not exceeded
· Periodically batches negotiated checks
· Provides an effective customer experience and assists in resolving problems within given authority.
· Process customer disputes on debit cards, checks, ACH’s & check 21
· Assists customers with Online Banking inquiries
· Records, files, updates information, prepares wire transfers and sorts mail or reports as required.
· Answers telephones and directs callers to proper Bank personnel.
· May gather data and process various reports (e.g., currency transaction, returned items, overdrafts, callbacks, etc.)
· May assists in balancing vault currency and coin.
· May assist in ATM balancing and machine errors.
· Maintains files, copies and faxes documents.
· Follows all bank policies and procedures by adhering to the Control Binder
· Current Texas driver's license and a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage if required to drive in the course of performing assigned duties and responsibilities.
The position of Teller performs duties specific to the position and other functions as assigned.
The position of Teller has no supervisory responsibility.
Environment and Physical Activity
The environment for this position is an open office that is mostly clean and comfortable. It may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc. The incumbent is in a non-confined office-type setting in which he or she is free to move about at will.
The incumbent in the course of performing this position spends time writing, typing, speaking, listening, lifting (up to 10 pounds), carrying, seeing (such as close, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and adjusted focus), sitting, pulling, walking, standing, squatting, kneeling and reaching.
The incumbent for this position may operate any or all of the following: telephone, copy and fax machines, adding machine (calculator), check protector, money counter, credit card terminal, computer terminal, personal computer and related printers.
The incumbent in this position must be able to accommodate to reading documents or instruments, detailed work, problem solving, customer contact, reasoning, math, language, presentations, verbal and written communication, analytical reasoning, stress, multiple concurrent tasks, and constant interruptions.
These specifications are general guidelines based on the minimum experience normally considered essential to the satisfactory performance of this position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the position in a satisfactory manner. Individual abilities may result in some deviation from these guidelines.
Must be able to pass a background and credit check.
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and 6 months of Teller experience or 1 year of related experience and/or training; or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Work related experience should consist of a cash handling and/or customer service background. Educational experience, through in-house training sessions, formal school or financial industry related curriculum, should be business or financial industry related.
• Basic typing skills to meet production needs of the position.
• Basic skills in computer terminal and personal computer operation; word processing and spreadsheet software.
• Basic math skills; calculate interest and balance accounts; add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals; locate routine mathematical errors; count currency, coin and negotiable instruments in a timely manner.
• Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to apply common sense to carry out instructions, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence, speak clearly to customers and employees.
• Ability to deal with routine problems involving multiple facets and variables in standardized situations.
• Good organizational and time management skills.
• Ability to work with general supervision while performing duties.
• Current Texas driver's license and a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage if required to drive in the course of performing assigned duties and responsibilities.
• Basic experience, knowledge and training in branch operation activities, terminology and products and services.
• Basic knowledge of related state and federal banking compliance regulations, and other Bank operational policies.
• Complete in-house training based on requirements set up for this position
• Proven ability to provide an Excellent Customer Experience
The incumbent must be able to perform this position safely, without endangering the health or safety to themselves or others.
MEMBER FDIC - EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER