SMH Consultants (SMH); a reputable engineering and land surveying company with offices in Manhattan, Dodge City, Overland Park, Kansas and Colorado Springs, Colorado; is seeking to fill a Survey Crew Chief position. This position will be based in our Colorado Springs, Colorado office. It is desirable, under direction, this person coordinates the activities of a field survey party; performs the most technically complex paraprofessional field surveying duties; and performs other duties as required. This person will also have the opportunity to use unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV/Drones) for topographic survey.
Responsible for the effective performance, training, and safety of all members of a field survey party. Survey Party Chief is distinguished from the class of Engineering Technician Specialist by its sole assignment of surveying duties. Survey Party Chief reports to a Professional Surveyor classification that is assigned responsible charge for field survey work.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Acts as party chief for a field survey crew engaged in making plane and/or geodetic surveys for construction, topographic, right-of-way, and control survey projects; participates in pre-survey planning meetings with project managers, resident engineers, and contractor representatives; assigns and monitors work, and provides input for evaluation of members of field survey crew; and instructs and trains survey crew in survey and mapping methods, use of equipment, and field safety procedures.
2. Gathers field survey data through use of conventional and Global Positioning System (GPS) methods; sets up, adjusts, and operates surveying equipment, including electronic total station, data collector, and GPS equipment, in order to measure distances, elevations, and angles; prepares field notes and drawings; and performs field surveying for roadway, bridges, and flood control projects, including installing surveying construction stakes, tying out existing intersection ties, and locating or establishing vertical and horizontal control, right of way, monuments, corners, boundaries, and property lines.
3. Performs complex surveying calculations using engineering calculator, laptop computer, personal computer, and graphics and coordinate geometry (Cogo) software, such as AutoCad-Softdesk; analyzes raw data for mathematical closure and geometric accuracy; provides survey information for Geographic Information System (GIS).
4. Researches existing record information, including record maps, plans, deeds, easements, and right-of-way documents; and maintains field data records, survey project files, and indexing systems.
5. May perform mapping compliance or other related office survey duties as a temporary assignment in order to satisfy the training/experience requirement for the Professional Land Surveyor's License.
SMH is a growing thirty year old engineering and surveying company with a steady volume of work. Our primary areas of expertise are land surveying and land development. SMH is a solid company built on experience and long lasting relationships with clients. We accomplish this by hiring great employees and providing them a work environment that is relaxed and fun so they too can develop the same relationships maintaining the stability of the company.
Compensation will be determined based upon qualifications and experience.
SMH Consultants, P.A. is an equal opportunity employer. All employees are hired at-will and subject to a 60-day primary evaluation period.
If interested contact or send resume to: