In this position, you will perform legal research and compile data from various sources. You will also prepare drafts of correspondence and contracts, maintain file systems, and prepare other legal documents.
Essential Job Functions - the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
- Review and analyze police reports, court and agency filings, and/or other information in order to draft legal holds
- Process internal and external legal hold requests
- Assist with data mapping of information subject to legal holds
- Track all City/CSU (Colorado Springs Utilities) employees subject to legal holds, including maintaining accurate records of all employee movement throughout the City/CSU
- Review news media articles for potential circumstances that require legal holds
- Provide expertise and consultative advice regarding data collection, sequence, and workflow
- Assist with the development and implementation of processes and procedures for legal holds
- Assist and advise City departments with physical and electronic document retention decisions
- Provide clear testimony in court regarding legal hold processes and procedures
This position requires a high degree of confidentiality and the ability to oversee and manage multiple projects concurrently. High attention to detail and exceptional organizational skills are also required.
- Knowledge of pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations, including civil litigation practice in state and federal courts
- Knowledge of legal hold best practices
- Knowledge of proper English usage, spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Knowledge of, and interest in, various electronic platforms and information technology tools
- Ability to adapt to technological changes
- Ability to preserve and understand evolving legal obligations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
Successful candidate will have:
- An associate's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in legal studies or a related field or certification as a paralegal. Significant related experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- One year of full-time paralegal and/or legal support experience
- Possess, or obtain within six months of hire, Colorado Notary Public Certification
This position requires a fingerprint based background check.
This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
Please visit https://coloradosprings.gov/jobs and click on 'Apply for a City Career' > 'City Career Postings – Apply Now' button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position's closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
To view the City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions, go to https://www.coloradosprings.gov/human-resources/page/job-classifications-descriptions.
To view the status of your application, go to http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cosprings/default.cfm.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to http://coloradosprings.gov/jic
If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Equal Opportunity Employer