SAIC is currently looking for a Subject Matter Expert (SME) for our Military Health System research program. This position will have a specific focus on Grant Writing. This position will support our contract with the Defense Health Agency (DHA). The position is based in Falls Church, Virginia.
General Job Duties:
- At the direction of government leadership, serves as a top-level technical and functional expert supporting the development and expansion of the DHA J-9 Military Health System (MHS) research program. The ideal candidate will possess knowledge of the MHS to enable support of research initiatives and collaborations within the Defense Department and with academic institutions. Critical to the position is an understanding of the research process to include: grant applications, Institutional Review Board (IRB) requirements, and Defense Department data acquisition processes. Must have strong client-facing consultation skills including briefing and/or advisement to civilian and uniformed government personnel and senior military leadership. Must be located in the National Capital Region or willing to relocate. Position will be located at primary client site in Falls Church, VA (approximately 3-4 days per week) and/or at alternate sites (e.g., Silver Spring, VA or Fort Detrick, MD) as needed.
Specific Job Duties:
- Serves as the technical expert for the development of Notice of Funding Opportunities posted on grants.gov
- Performs highly specialized technical tasks associated with grants
- Manages the scientific and programmatic review processes for all grants
- Supports all awardees in the data acquisition process (i.e., IRB, DSAA)
- Represents J-9 in discussions with key data acquisition departments in the development of an environment for research data
- Supports intramural researchers in proposal support requirements
- Experienced in the development and application of HSR methods, as well as the application and use of scientific standards, theories, and measurement, testing and evaluation procedures
- Familiar with common quantitative and qualitative research methods and related software programs (e.g., SAS, SPSS, R)
- Strong technical writing skills to clearly, logically, and succinctly communicate project-related information within the MHS, Defense Department, and other federal agencies at the commensurate comprehension and reading level for the audience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office business suite (including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required to prepare reports, briefings, and products; experience with Adobe Professional and with posting and sharing documents in SharePoint
- Expert knowledge of one or more areas of health services system research
- Familiarity with Defense Department policies and processes related to research, development, and acquisitions (e.g., Defense Acquisition University training certificate, demonstrated knowledge of DoD 5000 regulations)
- Experience working in the Military Health System, VA, AHRQ, CDC, SAMSHA or NIH
- Record of scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals and/or presentations at professional conferences
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s degree required; PhD preferred
- Expert level knowledge of research regulations, policies, and guidelines.
- At least 8 years of related experience in health system research or similar
- 5 years related experience in research program management is preferred
- Working knowledge of the Common Rule and other regulations/policies relevant to the protection of human subjects, including Defense Department and other Federal regulations; regulatory compliance
- Prior experience within the Defense Department/VA systems of care strongly preferred
- Ability to serve as the subject matter expert in required areas of expertise and provide industry best practice solutions to extremely complex problems being addressed
- Ability to analyze extremely complex problems and recommend, monitor and execute best practice solutions to executive level management.
- Good written and oral communication skills, along with the ability to work well in teams
COVID Policy: Prospective and/or new employees will be required to adhere with SAIC's vaccination policy. All SAIC employees must be fully vaccinated and they must submit proof of vaccination on their first day of employment. Prospective or new employees may seek an exemption to the vaccination requirement at Contact Us and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Customer site vaccination requirements, if more strict, will take precedence over SAIC's vaccination policy.
Target salary range: $105,001 - $115,000. The estimate displayed represents the typical salary range for this position based on experience and other factors.
SAIC® is a premier Fortune 500® technology integrator driving our nation's technology transformation. Our robust portfolio of offerings across the defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets includes secure high-end solutions in engineering, digital, artificial intelligence, and mission solutions. Using our expertise and understanding of existing and emerging technologies, we integrate the best components from our own portfolio and our partner ecosystem to deliver innovative, effective, and efficient solutions that are critical to achieving our customers' missions.
We are more than 26,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, fostering a respectful work culture based on diversity, equity, and inclusion that values all contributors. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, SAIC has annual revenues of approximately $7.1 billion. For more information, visit saic.com.