BSCS has an immediate opening for the position of Grant Accounting Manager. We seek a creative and motivated individual who shares our mission of improving science teaching and learning through research-driven innovation.
About BSCS Science Learning
BSCS Science Learning is an independent, nonprofit organization that develops, studies, and disseminates powerful approaches to science education. Our mission is to improve science teaching and learning through research-driven innovation. Founded in 1958, BSCS has brought the experience of inquiry learning to millions of students and teachers across the U.S. and around the world. Today, BSCS conducts research on how to improve science teaching and learning, develops instructional materials, offers professional learning programs for leaders, teachers, and educators; and conducts leadership development programs for schools and districts. Underlying all this work is our commitment to providing all young people with equitable, inclusive, and just science learning opportunities.
The Grant Accounting Manager at BSCS is an integral member of the organization and will work closely with research project teams. They will work collaboratively with research scientists, science educators, and research assistants to ensure that research goals are met over the course of multi-year projects.
The Grant Accounting Manager will be responsible for collaborating with Principal Investigators and project staff in:
● Assisting project leads with their managing their budgets
● Conducting regular reviews of project budgets,
● Preparing project forecasts,
● Preparing proposal budgets and other required documents,
● Ensuring adherence to guidelines and policies of funders and BSCS,
● Identify and prepare resources needed for A-133 and 122 audits,
● Monitoring fiscal compliance of the organization’s programs and services,
● Maintaining records of reporting requirements and deadlines for active projects,
● Maintaining up-to-date knowledge of the organization’s funding sources, grants and contracts, and the implementation of best practices,
● Reconciling and performing grant closeout functions as required by funders and in collaboration with project coordinators and project lead,
● Assisting and participating in all pre-and post-award grant processes.
Required Education and Experience:
● BA/BS in accounting or related discipline or equivalent expertise
● At least two years of prior experience working as a Grant Accounting Manager or similar
Required Skills and Abilities:
● Internally motivated
● Flexible and open
● Excellent time management, workflow management, and interpersonal skills
● Able to work well in heterogeneous teams
● Experience with grant accounting software
● Experience with federal and foundation grants
● Expertise in all Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) and data cleaning experience
The full-time, annual salary for this position is $55,000 – 65,000. BSCS offers competitive compensation and a generous package of benefits, as well as a flexible and inclusive work environment, with a strong commitment to the professional growth of all staff.
This is a hybrid position of remote and local work with the expectation of a minimum of two days a week in the Colorado Springs office. Preference will be given to local candidates or those willing to relocate to Colorado Springs, CO.
BSCS’s offices are in Colorado Springs, the #2 city in US News & World Report’s 2022 Best Places to Live. Located along the Front Range of the Rockies one hour south of Denver, Colorado Springs is known for its mild climate, the vibrant arts community, and year-round outdoor recreation. For additional information about BSCS and our work, prospective applicants are encouraged to review the BSCS website (bscs.org).
BSCS Commitment to Diversity
BSCS Science Learning is committed to recruiting a diverse staff so that we can bring the broadest possible range of perspectives to our mission of improving science teaching and learning. We are an equal-opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, sex, color, religion, national origin, disability (physical and/or mental), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, military obligations, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, or any status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Applicants should send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org: (i) 1-2 page cover letter (ii) resume. The cover letter should address your interest in the position and your qualifications for the job. We will begin reviewing complete applications on November 30, 2022 and continue until the job is filled. Please put “Grant Accounting Manager” in the subject line.