The Fleet Technician I performs a wide variety of mechanical repairs to gasoline and diesel-powered automotive, and other power-driven equipment. This position helps manage the preventative, routine, scheduled, and unscheduled maintenance of all vehicles and equipment of the city fleet in a proactive, safe, and efficient manner.
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Hours of Work: approximately 2:30 PM to 11:00 PM
- Evening shift positions are eligible for an additional pay incentive (2nd shift pay differential)
- Positions are eligible for overtime pay
Projected start date for all positions: Wednesday, December 27th, 2023.
Interim work opportunities with the City's current vendor may be available.We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
- Fleet maintenance operations regarding scheduling and tracking of work
- Basic computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook programs and fleet software applications.
Successful candidates will have
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Communicate clearly and concisely
- Provide excellent internal customer service
- Use of hand, power, and specialty tools pertaining to automotive truck and equipment repair.
- Perform a variety of mechanical tasks under normal to limited supervision
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions
- Exerting 50-100 lbs. occasionally; 10-25 lbs. frequently; or up to 10-20 lbs. constantly.
- Read manuals, understand diagrams, and interpret video
Ideal candidates will also have
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade (high school diploma or GED).
- One year of full-time, professional engine repair, fleet maintenance or related experience.
- Possess or obtain upon hire a non-probationary Colorado driver's license not subject to restrictions related to alcohol and/or drug violations or pending charges
- Within 24 months, obtain a valid non-probationary Colorado CDL not subject to restriction related to alcohol and/or drug violations or pending charges.
- Pass two Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Technician Certification tests within 12 months of start date
- A vocational certification or associates degree in automotive, mechanics, or a closely related field
The City of Colorado Springs offers additional compensation depending on the position, area of assignment, and specific job assignments, including shift differential, pay differential, acting or lead, special assignment, hazard pay, longevity, cell phone allowance, uniform allowance, relocation, awards, standby, call out, compensatory time off, tuition, overtime, extra duty, incentive, holiday premium, proficiency, and vacation sell back.
NOTE: This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
Physical Demands: Exerting 50-100 lbs. occasionally; 10-25 lbs. frequently; or up to 10-20 lbs. constantly.
Primary Work Environment - Shop
Extreme Temperature - Occasionally
Wetness and Humidity - Occasionally
Respiratory Hazards - Occasionally
Noise and Vibrations - Continuously
Physical Hazards - Occasionally
Mechanical and/or Electrical Hazards - Frequently
Exposure to Communicable Diseases - Never
The City does not sponsor applicants for work visas. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Apply to Join Our Team
The City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions, can be found on the website.
- Please visit Colorado Springs Jobs and click on ‘Apply for a City Career’ > ‘City Career Postings – Apply Now’ button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
- Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
- Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position’s closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
You can view the status of your application here.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to coloradosprings.gov/jic
Equal Opportunity Employer