The Event and Summer Conferencing Manager works to schedule facilities, campus lodging and coordinate all event logistics for summer conferencing events through electronic and oral communication including in-person meetings. This position will also support various contracted events during the academic year. Examples of contracted events include weddings, meetings, youth groups, seminars, retreats, reunions, trainings, sporting events, and trade shows. Facility scheduling includes but is not limited to auxiliary service spaces such as the University Center, Recreation Center, Gallogly Event Center outdoor spaces, and academic spaces on campus. This position will serve as a campus information source for facility and equipment usage, catering, dining, lodging, event policies and procedures, pricing, rentals and space availability. The position will assist with developing contracts and managing event invoicing for clients.
- Ascertains client needs and makes appropriate recommendations to client on how to best utilize facilities and resources.
- Arranges all event logistics for clients including event parking, Information Technology, security, audio visual requests, custodial support, external rentals, event staffing, event space layout, etc.
- Directs the conversion of campus housing to conference ready, maintains inventory of supplies needed and orders linen supplies.
- Reserves and allocates campus lodging for all summer guests.
- Works with Catering Coordinator to create and manage Banquet Event Orders (BEOs) for events and dining needs for summer conferencing.
- Contacts and coordinates with third party vendors and suppliers to make up for equipment shortages.
- Coordinates staff for events and summer conferences to include managing onsite, day of event support, including checking setups, catering deliveries, audiovisual setup, check ins, check outs, on call service and guest services administration to meet client expectations for events.
- Responsible for assessing appropriate event charges for assigned events and insuring events are billed appropriately according to the contract.
- Completes data entry of event information into the event management/ scheduling software, KxConferencing.
- Assists in the training of the department’s student event coordinator staff and provides ongoing support and development for all student employees.
- Recruit, hire, train, mentor and manage all summer conferencing assistants.
- Participates in departmental meetings and committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet the needs of the department, division and entire campus.
- Knowledge and experience working and managing a robust summer conference program.
- Knowledge of and ability to use Microsoft Office Suite and specifically Outlook, Excel, and Word and other applicable applications.
- Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Perform assigned responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Problem solve creatively with limited resources and direction in diverse situations.
Work with a variety of individuals in a constructive and collaborative manner.
Build effective working relationships within and across departments and reporting lines.
Manage office administrative tasks and communicate effectively in a professional manner.
Ability to remain calm and function effectively in stressful situations.
Prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously.
Ability to critically reflect on improving performance, procedures, event success, and provide appropriate feedback.
Ability to adapt and be flexible.
Ability to sustain and endure through peak business seasons.
Willingness to work flexible hours including nights and weekend.
This position has been determined to be exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
Salary Range: $44,000 - $48,000
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on university benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Colorado Springs is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three to five (3-5) years of professional experience working in or managing a robust summer conferencing program or in the hospitality industry specializing in conferencing.
- Two (2) years of experience working with college students in a higher education environment.
- Master’s degree in business, hospitality or related field.
Special Instructions to Applicants: • Applications submitted by October 27, 2019 will receive full consideration. Please upload your cover letter and resume as a Word document or a PDF document. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official transcripts will be required upon hire. Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Unofficial transcript(s) Application Materials Instructions: If you have technical difficulties with your application, please contact the CU Careers help desk at 303-860-4200 #5 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact.
Job Category: Hospitality
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40131 - VCSS-AUX-UC Event Services
Posting Date: Oct 7, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jared Verner
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00001793