Equipment Operator II - Drainage OperationsWe're an accredited pay equity employer!
The Public Works Operations Maintenance Division seeks an Equipment Operator II to perform semi-skilled maintenance tasks.
Your starting pay will be within the posted hiring range based on your experience and education. As an employee with the City of Colorado Springs there is room to grow!
Hiring Range: $22.83 - $27.40 hourly
Work Conditions: Schedule is generally (4) 10-hour days 6:30 AM to 5 PM Monday-Thursday or Tuesday-Friday.
Essential Job Functions - the basic job duties an employee must be able to perform:
- Safely operate construction and maintenance equipment such as hand and power tools, street sweepers, dump trucks equipped with plows and sanders, front-end loaders, and tandem axle trucks
- Transport materials and equipment to and from maintenance and construction sites
- Perform preventive maintenance on a variety of equipment
- Apply chemicals, abrasives, and other ice control products
- Maintain log and record books
- Perform manual labor such as cleaning culverts, mowing, patching potholes, and shoveling asphalt
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate:
Successful candidates will have
- Knowledge of traffic laws, ordinances, and rules involved in light and heavy equipment operation
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of traffic control
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of planning and executing drainage operations
- Knowledge of the safe operation of vacuum trucks, excavators, and compaction equipment
- Ability to work independently in the absence of supervision
- Ability to understand and apply pertinent laws, rules, and regulations
One (1) year of the appropriate type and level of experience may be substituted for each required year of post-high school education.
- A high school diploma or GED
- Three years of full-time experience in related area of assignment
- Possess or obtain upon hire a valid non-probationary Colorado Class B CDL (commercial driver's license) not subject to restriction related to alcohol and/or drug violations or pending charges
Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements.
(NOTE: CURRENT CDLs MUST BE REGISTERED WITH THE FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) DRUG AND ALCOHOL CLEARINGHOUSE AT https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov.)Ideal candidates will also have
- Experience working in drainage maintenance
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST REGISTER YOUR CDL (COMMERCIAL DRIVER'S LICENSE) WITH THE FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse at https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov.
This position requires that you are available for emergency callout.The City does not sponsor applicants for work visas. If hired, you will be required to provide proof of your eligibility to work in the United States.
Physical Demands: The position requires the ability to pull, reach, bend, climb, kneel, sit, stand, and walk for extended periods, lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally and 25 pounds frequently, and use fingers, hands, and legs; distinguish colors, and safely operate assigned vehicle and equipment.
Primary Work Environment - Outdoors in heavy traffic conditions
Extreme Temperature - Daily
Wetness and Humidity - Daily
Respiratory Hazards - Daily (dust, fumes, odors, and gases)
Noise and Vibrations - Daily
Physical Hazards - Daily (toxic chemicals)
Mechanical and/or Electrical Hazards - Continuously (heavy machinery and motorized equipment)
Exposure to Communicable Diseases - Frequently
NOTE: This job announcement is not intended to include a complete listing of all responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities associated with the position.
Apply to Join Our Team
The City's job classifications, including physical demands and descriptions, can be found on the website.
- Please visit Colorado Springs Jobs and click on ‘Apply for a City Career’ > ‘City Career Postings – Apply Now’ button to complete an online application. All job applicants will need to create a new login and online application (unless you already have a NEOGOV/governmentjobs.com user ID and password).
- Completing your application in full, including the entire work experience section, will assist Human Resources (HR) in the applicant screening process. Your application may not be considered if all of the information requested for each employer you list is not provided.
- Our NEOGOV application system does not allow you to edit your application after it has been submitted for a position. If you want to make changes, you may submit another application prior to the position’s closing date and time listed in the job posting. HR will review the last application you submit for a position.
You can view the status of your application here.
To be notified of future career opportunities, go to coloradosprings.gov/jic
Equal Opportunity Employer