Environmental Health Specialist I/II
Colorado Springs, CO
Essential Job Functions
Provides environmental health inspections and investigations of public and private establishments and other environmental health related situations to ensure compliance with local and state health and safety codes. Serves as an environmental educator; provides information and performs specialized environmental health work.
- Conducts inspections of industrial, commercial, public or private facilities to assure continued compliance with public health standards. Notifies owners or operators of deficiencies or violations; maintains records of contacts made and conditions encountered. Performs data entry of inspection results and reports findings and conditions to Program Manager.
- Educates owners, operators, students and the general public on environmental health issues and regulations.
- Prepares written and verbal reports. Enters findings, including daily activities, into electronic database.
- Conducts and coordinates plan reviews and pre-operational inspections for regulated facilities.
- Investigates routine and non-routine complaints. Provides follow-up action.
- Obtains compliance with public health laws and regulations through administrative enforcement procedures. Works with Program Manager to expedite enforcement action.
- Participates in special team assignments, such as food borne illness investigations.
- Participates in committees related to program activities and responsibilities.
- Participates in departmental emergency planning and response activities.
- Promotes public health within the community.
- Takes personal responsibility to provide exceptional customer service in order to promote and maintain a positive Public Health image, constructive working environment, and foster pride and professionalism in the workplace and community.
- Performs other duties as required.
Additional Level II Functions:
- Monitors environmental interfaces of animal to human diseases.
- Presents educational material regarding environmental health to schools, civic groups and various audiences.
- Participates in community outreach activities to promote understanding and support of environmental health programs.
- Reviews design plans for the construction of on-site wastewater treatment systems and inspects sites throughout installation process as assigned; reviews soil and site soil classifications and approves/disapproves results submitted.
- Assists in the preparation of legal documents for administrative hearings and further legal action against repeat violators.
- Provides support to program manager for projects, grant opportunities and other matters pertaining to the Division.
- Engages in specialized programs, projects, and research in environmental health science.
Additional requirements to qualify as Environmental Health Specialist II:
- Bachelor's of Science degree with a minimum of 30 credits of basic science required.
- Knowledge of principles, techniques, practices and procedures as related to environmental health.
- Ability to learn environmental rules and regulations.
- Ability to communicate, motivate, and organize projects among a broad spectrum of personnel, frequently under deadline pressure.
- Skill in demonstrating a cooperative, professional attitude to cultivate relationships both within and outside the organization.
- Skill in prioritizing and organizing multiple tasks and the ability to complete projects in a timely manner. Skilled in the coordination and delegation of work functions; promotes an organizational shared vision.
- Ability to respond in a flexible manner and reprioritize work as situations change.
- Ability to demonstrate sound judgment by taking appropriate actions regarding questionable findings or concerns.
- Ability to identify problems and work creatively to resolve them, considering the impact of actions on Public Health.
- Knowledge and understanding of company policies and procedures.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely and maintain accurate records and reports to meet management objectives.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Skilled in training and presentation.
- Ability to perform under stress and when confronted with persons acting under stress. Ability to travel using own transportation on a daily basis.
- Ability to identify results of efforts and identified/potential problems and to develop and recommend corrective actions to supervisor.
- Ability to maintain the security of sensitive and confidential information.
- Skill in using a computer and various software packages, including Microsoft Office, and performing data entry.
- Must pass conditional post offer background investigation, drug screen and motor vehicle check.
- Minimum two (2) years experience in governmental environmental health, including conducting inspections and investigations required.
- Knowledge of environmental health rules and regulations.
- Skill in working with federal, state, and/or local authorities.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Colorado Driver's License and appropriate level of personal vehicle insurance.
Additional requirement for Environmental Health Specialist II:
- Must possess and maintain Standardization Certificate for Retail Food Establishment.