Performs a variety of duties associated with the alteration and maintenance of El Paso County buildings, grounds and equipment.Essential Duties/Responsibilities
- Maintains and repairs County buildings, grounds and equipment; performs work in areas including carpentry, HVAC, painting, plumbing, electrical maintenance and other related crafts.
- Performs architectural work. Frames walls and partitions, installs new or repairs existing suspended ceilings, patches and repairs roofs, and installs or repairs drywall, doorframes/doors and door hardware.
- Installs plumbing fixtures, repairs/ and related components.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, replaces and maintains electrical wiring, fuses, switches, motors, lighting systems and other fixtures/equipment.
- Maintains and repairs building locks, doors, gates and overhead doors.
- Applies coatings such as paint, varnish and oils to interior and exterior surfaces.
- Develops project scope of work, coordinates the job, orders materials, creates/maintains work orders and closes out project.
- Assists foreman in scheduling work orders, pulling appropriate permits, completing paper work and modifying blueprints to reflect modifications.
- Serves on-call as required to support all County buildings, including correctional facilities.
- Performs other duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of applicable occupational hazard and safety precautions.
- Ability to interpret and work from sketches, layouts, blueprints, oral and written instructions.
- Skill in the care and use of tools and equipment commonly used in building maintenance (hand tools, power tools, gauges, pumps, detectors, test equipment, and snow removal equipment, etc.).
- Ability to communicate effectively and work with other County employees, tenants and the public.
- Must be able to work independently and as a team, with and without immediate supervision.
- Ability to carry out assignments in accordance with instructions and established procedures.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent education.
- Three years of building maintenance, repair, or related experience.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver's license.
- Criminal Justice Information System (CJIS) certification, or have the ability to successfully obtain within ninety (90) days of employment.
- Must pass conditional post offer background investigation, drug screen, physical examination, and motor vehicle record check.
Duties are performed both indoors and outdoors and requires the ability to perform laboring tasks in adverse weather and/or environmental conditions. Position involves extensive standing, bending, reaching, kneeling, carrying heavy tools and equipment to work site, and working in confined/tight spaces. Must be able to safely lift and carry up to 50 lbs. May be exposed to hazardous chemicals/materials during the performance of some job responsibilities. Will be required to work in an asbestos environment utilizing a full suit and respirator. Position requires driving/travel to other County facilities. Responds to emergency situations as required. Serves as on-call representative for after hour response. Position may be required to work shift work.