Description of Work
|Under general management, the Aquatics Maintenance Specialist monitors, supports, and assists with aquatics operations and maintenance, and property maintenance of Schryver Park. This position provides basic facility maintenance, maintains proper chemical balance for the pool, coordinates building maintenance and cleanliness, and attends to park maintenance needs in Schryver Park.|
Essential Job Functions
|• Diagnoses, repairs, and supervises maintenance of public swimming pools, water systems, filter systems, pumps, and playground equipment.|
• Oversees maintenance, testing and tracking of chemical balance and general water chemistry; supervises training on proper chemicals, cleaning, and pump and filter maintenance; supervises and assists with the transportation and storing of hazardous chemicals.
• Ensures the pool and training areas are clean, well-maintained, and free of hazards.
• Complete maintenance of the pool area; respond to swimming pool related work orders, assess and repair non-functioning machinery or equipment; recommend repairs of electrical and mechanical equipment.
• Ensures facility will meet or exceed health department code and expectations; oversees building maintenance and coordinates projects with the parks department or outside companies as needed.
• Assist with gathering bids, compiling quotes, managing projects and various maintenance tasks; communicates with contractors through bid process; manages project work and closures.
• Maintains inventory of pool supplies and alerts supervisor of shortages; assists in ordering supplies.
• Provide general assistance, information, and instruction to the public regarding water and other related public safety issues; receives, responds to and/or resolves questions, assists with inquiries and complaints from the public and refers to management.
• Identifies problems and writes incident reports in accordance with applicable ordinances and departmental policies/procedures; ensures the health and safety of all patrons.
• Oversees and coordinates a plan for daily upkeep of facilities and grounds; assists with backwashing and pool/spa cleaning program.
• Performs maintenance of property grounds including Schryver Park, pollinator beds, and the pond.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities - • Knowledge of health and safety protocols and procedures.|
• Knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures, and pertinent state and local regulations relating to lifeguard procedures and emergency operations Pool equipment and how it functions.
• Water Rescue and First aid practices as taught by the American Red Cross or equivalent.
• Mechanical skills needed to perform pool maintenance and backwashing and pool/spa cleaning program.
• Ability to understand and apply city and departmental policies and procedures, and pertinent state and local regulations relating to lifeguard procedures and emergency operations.
• Ability to enforce pool/facility rules, observe, analyze public safety situations, and determine appropriate course of action.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public.
• Communicating clearly, concisely, and effectively, both orally and in writing, at the lifeguard level.
• Ability to interpret, apply, and explain applicable pool and facility rules.
• Ability to prepare and maintain clear, concise, and accurate documentation.
• Utilize sound, independent judgment within established guidelines.
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Remain calm, make sound decisions, and respond appropriately in emergency situations.
• Rational decision making, quick to action, and adept at problem solving.
• 3 years of pool maintenance experience required.
• Certified Pool Operator certification preferred, or can obtain within 1 year of hire.
• American Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR for Professionals, First Aid or equivalent, or able to obtain within 60 days of hire.
• Lifeguard Instructor certificate required within one year of hire.