Animal Care Supervisor
full-time - Colorado Springs, CO
This position supervises the daily work of 10-20 animal care and processing staff and is responsible for the support, coaching and evaluation of approximately 5 animal care and/or processing staff. The AC Supervisor is responsible for ensuring that animals are properly cared for and processed each day. This is a working supervisor position; position will be responsible for animal care and/or processing duties each day.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervises animal care and processing staff
• Works with other supervisors and managers to allocate work among animal care and processing duties
• Ensures high-quality animal care is occurring at all times
• Applies policies and procedures to provide for the daily needs of all animals
• Maintains kennels so they are clean and disinfected
• Provides floor leadership by providing guidance and feedback to staff and volunteers
• Assists management with writing and maintaining SOPs and training materials
• Schedules AC and processing staff each week
• Communicates appropriate issues to management; if issue is urgent and AC management is not available, reports to Human Resources or other director or manager.
• Performs daily exam reviews, vaccine boosters, spay checks and health/weight checks as needed. Assists processors as needed.
• Assists with supplies and animal food inventory
• Performs all tasks and assignments that animal care and processing staff perform
• Performs euthanasia lead responsibilities
• Assists with training of staff and volunteers
• Attends scheduled and impromptu meetings
• Independently and collaboratively solves problems
• Communicates effectively with other HSPPR staff on animal care and intake issues
• Assists with interviewing and hiring of new staff
• Performs other duties as assigned
• Utilizes performance-based management when counseling and evaluating staff and sets measurable goals for employee growth.
• Submits evaluations on time and encourages continuing education for staff as it relates to the organization’s needs.
• Recognizes good performance and counsels/coaches staff
• Committed to the mission, values, goals and success of HSPPR.