Foster Families or Parents Needed for children with special needs
Special Kids Special Families
424 W Pikes Peak Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80905
SEEKING FOSTER PARENTS TO CARE FOR YOUTH WITH SPECIAL NEEDS
Every child deserves a loving and stable home. The Foster Care Program of Special Kids Special Families (SKSF) is seeking dedicated foster parents in the Colorado Springs, Pikes Peak Region and Denver Metro areas who are willing to make a commitment to provide a home to care for a child or children, especially siblings, of all ages.
In addition to seeking traditional foster care families for children who have been taken from their parents because of neglect or abuse with hopes for family reunification or adoption, SKSF also has a need for specialized foster care.
1) SKSF’s Benchmark For Life model is intended to serve youth identified as having challenging emotional, behavioral, physical and developmental needs. Families provide an opportunity for the child to learn and build coping skills, help overcome challenges, learn self care and teach community inclusion skills. SKSF will provide a full spectrum of support from initial introduction through training, certification to placement and continual regular involvement with the foster family and child to ensure successful placements and positive outcomes.
2) Treatment foster care provides children and young adults with emotional, behavioral and medical issues a combination of therapeutic family nurturing along with active and structured treatment to avoid being placed in an institutional setting. Most children will not return home and will be placed with a nurturing foster family that can meet their needs and remain with them until transition into an adult program. Treatment includes consultation and collaboration with the SKSF team, therapist, life skills worker, case worker and other invested professionals.
• Experience in working with or caring for children
• Willing to be trained
• Provide a safe, stable and nurturing home
• Good communication skills and the ability to develop intervention and crisis skills
• Influencing and teaching youth progress in their daily living
• Working with a professional team
• At least 21 years old, single or married
• Flexible accommodating schedule
• Self supporting
As a part of the application process, we are required to conduct background checks, complete a family assessment including all members living in the home, administer a home inspection that you will be guided through, and provide the necessary training for certification.
SUPPORT SERVICES & BENEFITS
• 24-Hour Support: SKSF staff is available for support and consultation 24 hours a day. We are here to help you, any time day or night.
• Specialized Training: You will become the most important link in the treatment team for this child and they will rely on you to help them maneuver through their treatment plan by supporting them with home life, schooling, peers, family relationships, and providing transportation to necessary appointments and visits as applicable. SKSF staff will meet with you to provide the necessary training and requirements for you to become a licensed foster parent. This training is absolutely free to you.
• Dedicated Support Staff: A Home Supervisor will be assigned and available to you to answer questions and help you navigate the journey of foster parenting. You will be given ongoing support, training, and encouragement.
• Financial Reimbursement: Reimbursement is dependent upon the needs of the youth with the foster care system. Medical care for your foster child is covered 100% by Medicaid.
If you think you are ready to become a Foster Parent, please complete the online self-evaluation. Serious inquiries only. For more information, please visit our website www.SKSFcolorado.org or call Linda Ellegard at 719-447-8983 x19.
Employer Contact Information
Our mission is to promote, strengthen & support individuals with disabilities and their families. We have childcare/respite care programs for children ages 2.5-21 years old at the Zach's Place at the Laurie Hillyard Family Center, socialization nights, and overnight care. We offer adult day programs that are community and center based. We also offer foster care for adults and children.